Monday, March 21, 2011

Meeting with crafting

My peaceful sleep in the flower field next to a river in town Gridania was suddenly disturbed by nearby fast footsteps.
Still half asleep, I have rubbed my eyes and as I raised my head with big yawn, I have seen a little Lalafell chasing a butterfly.
Poor little guy must be really hungry, I suppose.
When he noticed me, he shrugged in a surprise and ran away as fast as his small legs let him.
Ah well, I guess he is just too shy to let other know about his unusual eating habits.

I have slowly stood up and headed towards to river just few steps away from me to wash my face. Suddenly, I hit a rock with my foot, tripped over it and fallen right into the river.
Phew, that sure is a way to wake up.

Fully woken up, I have dried myself up and started thinking about today's breakfast.



I have started with cutting some tomatoes and onions which will make perfect side dish salad.



Next I have started cooking some dodo eggs.

As I already know, it is important to keep a close eye in the temperature to not let it boil too much and overflow otherwise it can turn out to have quite funny taste which is not so good for my tummy.

Best is to keep the temperature little low within the white or yellow thermometer marks.
But once it goes into red or whole bowl starts flashing with colors, its the best to lower the temperature by cutting of a flame and wait a little bit otherwise the bowl may overflow, start trowing sparks around and that hurts, seriously.
I heard that cooking while thermometer shows red color may help to bring out better taste, but that's something only more skilled ones should try.

Finishing up my breakfast, I have decide to give a try to my carpentry skills and try to craft myself a new bow which I desperately need.
After several days of gathering resources, looking trough market wards and searching for weaver and alchemist to have the bow string and glue done, I finally got everything I need.

When I arrived to carpentry guild to use their best working facilities, for small price of course, I started with crafting right away.



I have started cutting some logs into lumber, which is easy task for me, I already did this many times and sure have a lot of experience in doing it.

To try my real skill, I decided to get a try crafting several wooden masks.
After a little struggling with it, I successfully made few masks. Seems like my skill got a little dull or I'm just a bit out of luck?
All masks I created were nicely done according to how I was taught, but still, they are kind of scary. I will sell them later to make a bit of gil.

It seems risky to craft something more difficult like a bow now, but since I really need it I decided to give it a try.

I have put all needed components on my work table and started crafting.
To my surprise it was looking quite good and work was going steady. But when I was almost done, I hit a wall and could not get anything trough. I have failed.
Not letting myself down over the failure, I taken out another set of components from my bag and given it another try, and failed again.
After failing four times and using up almost all my components, all I had left was one more try.
With a long sigh, I have taken out last components I had from my bad and started.
Right from the beginning if was not looking good, but holding to a slander chance I had, I have continued to work on crafting.
Taking most careful approach, slowly assembling the components one by one and taking rests in between each step I made it to the end and was able to successfully finish my first masterpiece.



I stood there happily admiring my new new creation, beautiful willow shortbow, observing the quality and its string tension.
The price to pay for one bow was high, I put almost everything I had into this single bow, but it was worth it.
My old weathered bow is not so precise, this new one will be of great help.

Realizing how it is important to take a good care of it, I headed to botanist guild to get repair materials what I may need in future.
As I arrived to botanist guild, I showed them my new bow asking for spare materials for repairing that I may need.



Everybody in botanist guild was quite shocked that I managed to craft a willow bow, to the point it even surprised me.
I guess it is no so easy task to do after all.
Receiving few branches for repairing my bow, I headed to the towns gate to give my new bow a try and maybe whack some of those sanguinar carnivore squirrels.

No comments:

Post a Comment