Monday, March 21, 2011

Carpenter's story, part 1

My road as carpenter has been a rough one as of late.
I have been walking trough land of Eorzea offering my carpentry services in town of Gridania and Uldah.

There does not seem to be much diversity in tasks I'm asked to do. Usually I'm asked to craft items and deliver them to far places, but so far I have been enjoy traveling all around the forest to deliver much needed supplies.

Most request I received so far are ranging from simple planks to bows and shields.
I'm doing quite well with them, even if that is how I rate myself. After all, leve tasks are not all that difficult, at least for now.

But sometimes, caution is needed even with easy looking tasks.
There seems to be some leve requestors who try to make inexperienced adventurers deliver goods deep into dangerous locations.
They may do so to lower the price they have to pay, but it sure is a shameful act.

I just recently received a delivery request giving me a pile of logs and was asked to make planks out of them.
Delivery location was Camp Crimson Bark located in central part of the West forest, the pace I did not knew yet.
I did not had much trouble creating planks, but when I arrived on the edge of the West forest, it was guarded by wolves.
I had to return several times to this place until wolves left, but then just around the corner in a wider plain within the forest I have encountered vultures.
Carefully sneaking by past them took me a long time and in the end, payment for this tasks was not worth it at all.

While I seem to have quite a luck with tasks for other, crafting for myself does not works so good.
Just on other day I have used all my materials and most of my gil to craft single willow shortbow. I have failed so many times, but in the end I made it.
Shortly after, I was asked by another adventurers to make them two same bows. I hesitated for a while, but in the end they convinced me to try and I successfully made both of them on my first try.

Yesterday, while I was visiting the carpentry guild facilities I noticed adventurer near me using working on bows and masks.
He seems to have same skill as I do, but he was able to finish everything fast and successful.
Observing his work, I have noticed his saw, it was quite different from mine. Handle was made of bright wood and plate was shining in bronze color.
After asking, I was told it's named Chocobotail Saw and I was explained how it is important to use better tools once I'm more skilled in carpentry.
Umm, poor Chocobo.

Decided to get one for myself, I have headed to market wards.
After talking to every single retainer in all wards, I was not able to find it.

So I began looking for blacksmith. It did not took me long until I find one who explained the crafting process of Chocobotail Saw to me and told me all components that I need for making one. Trough he told me that he is not experienced enough to make one.

It sure is a long and difficult process, but it must be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment